Strawberry-Lemonade Layer Cake is a delicious sweet summer treat originating from the south and making its way to family dinner tables this summer. With its sweet tangy flavor and rich cake goodness, you are sure to love this decadent dessert!
Preparation takes about 45 minutes. Bake time is approx. 4hrs and 30 minutes and makes about 12 servings.
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated( I find white eggs are best for this recipe)
- 3 cups of cake flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of table salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Strawberry-Lemonade Jam
- Strawberry Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until it has a creamy texture; gradually adding the sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time and beat until blended after each addition.
2.Stir together the flour and the next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk ending with flour mixture. Using the electric mixer, beat at low speed until blended. Stir in the lemon zest and juice.
3.Beat the egg whites in a large bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-third of egg whites into the batter; then fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon the batter into 4 greased (with shortening) and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
4.Bake at 350° for 16 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
5.Place 1 cake layer on a serving platter and spread with about 1/2 cup Strawberry-Lemonade Jam. Make sure to leave a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Spoon 1 cup Strawberry Frosting into a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Snip 1 corner of bag to make a small hole. Pipe a ring of frosting around cake layer just inside the top edge. Top with the second and third cake layers, repeating procedure with filling and frosting between each layer. Top with last cake layer, and spread remaining Strawberry Frosting on top and sides of cake.
It is purely optional, but you can serve the cake with a side of french vanilla ice cream! Enjoy! 🙂